In Sanksrit “Pavana” means “Air“, “Mukta” means “Free” and “Asana” means “Pose“. So this pose is called as pavanamuktasana or wind removing pose. Pavanamuktasana pose is an excellent exercise to remove gases from the stomach and improve digestion process as well as losing belly fat.
- Lie flat on your back like shavasana and breathe normally.
- Take a long breath (inhale) and pull your right leg towards your chest with both the hands. Keep your left leg straight.
- Now, while exhaling raise your head, back and shoulders to touch your forehead to the knees.
- Hold this position for some time.
- Now inhale slowly and release this pose to come back to starting position.
- Repeat this cycle with left leg, then again right leg.
- You can practice it by pulling both the legs together also.
- Practice it for 5 minutes.
Benefits of Pavanamuktasana
- Effective to release gases and improve digestion process.
- Improves the function of intestines and ease bowel movement.
- Strengthens stomach muscles and burn belly fat.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Beneficial in menstrual disorder.
- Relieve back pain.
- Stimulates reproductive system.
- Improves function of liver, kidneys, spleen and pancreas.
Precautions for Pavanamuktasana
- Pregnant women should not practice. Even after the second trimester of pregnancy.
- If suffering from high blood pressure, ulcer, heart problems, hernia, slip disc, back problems, testicle problem, neck problem or piles should not practice wind removing pose.
- Do not overstretch or strain your neck.
- Should not practice pavanamuktasana in periods.