Bahya pranayama exercise is also known as external retention. Bahya means external, Pranayama means breathing exercise and retention means holding the breath or kumbhaka. This breathing exercise is beneficial for a hernia and diabetes patient.
Steps of Bahya Pranayama
- Sit in Padmasana or Sukhasana with the erect spine.
- Now inhale (breathe in) deeply.
- Now, while exhaling (breathing out), try to touch your chin to chest.
- Squeeze your stomach and pull it upward. Hold this position and your breath for 10-15 seconds.
- Now inhale (breathe in) and release chin.
- Keep in mind while inhaling your head should be upward and while exhaling head should be downward.
- Repeat this cycle for 2-5 minutes. After practice, you can increase the duration.
Benefits of Bahya Pranayama
- It is effective breathing exercise to cure hernia patient.
- Cures acidity and gastric problems
- Good for prostate and urinary problems.
- Cures reproductive problems.
- Help to cure diabetes.
- Cures urine and sperm-related problems.
- Helps to improve concentration
Precautions for Bahya Pranayama
- Those are suffering from hypertension, heart problem should not practice this pranayama.
- Women should not practice during the periods.
[ See Also – More Yoga Poses and Deep Yoga Breathing Exercises ]