If you are always suffering from lower back pain and upper back pain then stop taking painkillers and start yoga exercises immediately. Yoga exercises will cure and prevent your back pain problem permanently. In this post you will learn effective 7 yoga poses for lower back pain relief, causes of back pain and tips to prevent back pain permanently.
Yoga plays an important role to calm your whole body, mind, and soul. Regular practice of yoga asanas releases your stress, tension, anxiety, depression. It relaxes your joints, muscles and makes you strong internally.
Common Causes Of Lower Back Pain
- Poor posture
- Prolonged sitting
- Physical job
- Lifting heavy weight
- Lifting weight improperly
- Strained muscles
- Standing for long periods
- Bad mattress
- Disc degeneration
Yoga Poses for Lower Back Pain Relief
In yoga there are some stretches for lower back pain relief like shavasana, ardha halasana, pavanamuktasana, markatasana, bhujangasana, balasana, and sethubandhasana which are effective to reduce your back pain permanently. Let’s check them one by one.
1. Shavasana (Corpse Pose)
Before starting other yoga asanas for back pain, you should start with shavasana (corpse pose). Shavasana is the simple and effective to relax your whole body. Shavasana reduces your stress, fatigue and improves concentration.
- Lie flat on the ground and keep your arms and legs straight.
- Close your eyes and breathe deeply.
- While exhaling, think that you are reducing your stress, fatigue, and pain.
- While sleeping on your back you can keep a pillow under your knees to reduce pressure in the back.
[ More Details – Steps and Benefits of Shavasana (Corpse pose) ]
2. Ardha Halasana ( Half Plow Pose)
Ardha halasana is beneficial to reduce back pain as well as lose your belly fat to give flat stomach, cure menstrual disorder, improve the function of abdomen organs. It is effective in lumber spondylosis.
- Lie flat on your back like shavasana yoga pose.
- While inhaling raise your right leg and bring it perpendicular or at 45% to the ground.
- Hold this position and your breath for few seconds.
- Then while exhaling bring your leg on the ground.
- Now repeat this cycle with left leg.
[ More Details – Steps and Benefits of Ardha Halasana ]
3. Pavanmuktasana (Wind Removing Pose)
To relieve upper or lower back pain practicing pavanamuktasana is the best exercise. It is effective to reduce back pain as well as improves the function of the intestine, liver, kidney and reproductive system.
- Lie flat on your back and keep your legs straight (shavasana).
- Interlock your hands as shown in above image and while inhaling pull your legs towards your chest.
- While exhaling release your pose to come in starting position (shavasana).
- You can do this yoga pose by folding one leg at a time then continue with the second.
- Basically, in pavanamukstasana you should raise your head but you can do without raising your head. This type of pose is called as ardha pavanamuktasana (Half Wind Pose).
[ More Details – Pavanamuktasana Steps and Benefits ]
4. Markatasana (Monkey Pose)
In the list of most popular yoga poses for lower back pain relief, You should not miss Markatasana (Monkey pose). Markatasana is an effective exercise to get rid of your back pain and improve flexibility in the spine. In Sanskrit language, markat means monkey and asana means pose, hence it is known as markatasana monkey pose.
- Lie down on your back and keep your legs straight.
- While inhaling fold your right leg and bend to the left. Try to touch your knee or right leg on the floor. In the beginning, it will be difficult for you. But bend as much you can. Turn your neck to the right.
- Hold this position for few seconds (as long as you feel comfortable) then while exhaling come back to starting position.
- Now repeat this cycle with left leg to bend at the right side and turn your neck to the left.
- You can do this yoga pose by folding both the legs at a time also.
- Repeat this yoga pose for 5-10 times.
5. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
Everyone should practice bhujangasana (cobra pose) because it is one of the best yoga poses for lower back pain relief. Bhujangasana reduces your back pain, strengthens your spinal cord and brings flexibility.
- Lie flat on your stomach as shown in above image.
- While inhaling raise your upper body with the support of the palms.
- Breathe normally for few seconds then while exhaling, come to the starting position.
- Repeat this for few minutes.
[ More Details – Bhujangasana Steps and Benefits ]
6. Balasana (Child’s Pose)
Balasana is one of the best back pain relief exercises at home. It is beneficial to get rid of the back pain as well as it stimulates abdomen organs, burns belly fat, reduces stress, stretches back and spine completely.
- Sit in vajrasana yoga pose
- While exhaling bend forward to touch your forehead to the ground
- Stretch your hands and place your palms on the ground
- Breathe normally and hold this position for few minutes
- While inhaling come back to starting position (vajrasana)
- Repeat this 5-10 times.
[ More Details – Balasana Child Pose steps and Benefits ]
7. Bridge Pose for Lower Back Pain
Bridge pose is also one of the best yoga stretches for lower back pain relief. It is beneficial to relieve back pain and strengthen back muscles. Reduces stress, anxiety, depression and also help in reducing menstrual pain.
- Lie flat on your back and fold your knees as shown in above image.
- Keep some distance between feet and keep arms beside your body.
- Now while inhaling lift your tailbone, lower back upwards with the support of hands.
- Try to touch your chest to the chin.
- Hold this position as much you can.
- Now while exhaling release this pose to come to the starting position.
- Repeat this cycle for few times.
- Do not practice if you are suffering from neck and back injury.
[ More Details – Benefits and Steps of Bridge Pose ]
How to Prevent Back Pain?
- Control your weight and lose extra pounds.
- Doing regular exercises keep you away from back pain.
- Avoid smoking.
- Sleeping on your side is the best position but consult your doctor about your sleeping position. Keep a pillow under your knee if you are sleeping on your back to reduce pressure on the spine.
- Do not bend when you sit or stand.
- Take care while lifting heavy objects. Do not bend from waist directly to lift heavy objects. Bend your knees first.
- Avoid high heels.
- Stress can cause back pain so try to reduce it. Try these effective tips to reduce stress.
- If you are sitting for a prolonged period then do not keep your wallet in back pockets.
“Hey friends, if you have more tips or yoga poses for lower back pain, feel free to post in the comment section below and do not forget to share.”