In Sanskrit “Sarvanga” means “all limb” or “whole body” and “Asana” means “pose” so this pose is known as Sarvangasana or the shoulder stand yoga pose. Sarvangasana is a whole body workout because it strengthens all the inner parts of your body. In this yoga pose the weight of the whole body comes to your shoulder.
Shoulder Stand Yoga Pose Steps
- Lie flat on your back like shavasana. Breathe normally for a few seconds before starting the next step.
- Now, while inhaling (Breathe in) raise your legs straight up perpendicular to the floor. Support your hips with your both the hands to stay comfortably in this position. Breathe normally and hold this position for a few seconds. After good practice, you can increase the duration.
- Now, while exhaling release this pose to come in starting position.
- Repeat this cycle for 3-5 times.
Benefits of Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose)
- Provides benefits to the whole body system.
- Stimulate thyroid glands and improves its function.
- Strengthens arms and shoulders.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Helps to cure problems related reproductive system.
- Controls hair loss.
- Stimulates nervous systems.
- Cures stomach disorder like gas, indigestion and constipation.
- Improves mood and release fatigue.
- Beneficial in asthma.
- Beneficial in menstrual disorder.
- Purifies blood so helpful in curing leukemia and skin problems.
- Improves the function of the kidneys and urinary bladder.