Headache is the most common issue in people. There are so many reasons of headaches and migraines like stress, tension, poor sleep and other problems. But you can prevent and cure it with the help of natural remedies. In this article, you will learn the use of 14 effective home remedies for headaches and migraines.
Home Remedies for Headaches and Migraines
Ginger is the popular home remedy to treat headaches and migraines. It is an effective remedy to reduce inflammation in the blood vessels in the brain which helps to relieve pain and nausea.
Try below tricks to treat and prevent a headache and migraine.
- Chew piece of raw ginger for few minutes.
- Add ginger in a boiling water. Inhale the vapor.
- Drink ginger tea for instant relief.
- You can add half lemon juice in a ginger tea and drink it.
2. Ice Pack
Using ice pack is one of the popular home remedies for headaches and migraines. You can use an ice pack, wet towel, or put an ice cube in a towel and place it on your forehead, back of the neck or around the migraine area for few minutes. Lie down for few minutes in a dark room. It will definitely relieve your pain.
Peppermint has anti-inflammatory property and calming effect which controls blood flow and helps to increase oxygen into the bloodstream.
- Drink peppermint tea. You can add honey.
- You can massage peppermint oil in the combination of lavender oils on your forehead and leave it for 30 minutes. Repeat it 2-3 times a day.
4. Soak Your Soles
Take hot water in a tub and put your legs in it for few minutes. It flows blood from your head to feet and releases pressure and inflammation in the head. This way it helps to reduce a headache and migraine easily.
5. Basil Oil
Basil is another effective home remedies for headaches and migraines. It contains important medical properties, which relaxes blood vessels in the head and relieve pain.
- Apply basil oil on your forehead.
- Inhale basil oil vapor.
- Drink basil tea.
These all options are good to relieve pain caused by a migraine headache.
The another effective way to reduce a headache is massaging your head and back of the neck. Massaging helps to relieve tension and pain.
Eating an apple is also effective to reduce symptoms of headaches. Apple is helpful to regulate acidic and alkaline levels in the body. Also, the smell of green apple is effective to reduce the problem of a migraine.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is effective to cure headaches and migraines. Also, it helps to control high blood sugar and high blood pressure. It is effective to cure constipation and control weight.
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of water
- Drink this mixture daily to treat and prevent migraine headaches.
- Start with one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in the beginning if you are not used to taking apple cider vinegar.
9. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is a natural painkiller. It is effective to improve blood circulation and reduce the inflammation in the blood vessels.
- Add one teaspoon of cayenne pepper, honey, and lemon in a warm cup of water.
- Drink the mixture
Cloves are anesthetic and antiseptic in nature and also contains stress releasing properties. Using cloves calms the nerves of the brain and cures a headache. Also, cloves are effective to reduce tooth pain.
- Crush some cloves in a cloth and inhale the smell.
- You can apply the paste of cloves on your forehead
11. Lavender oil
Lavender oil is one of the best home remedies for headaches and migraines. It is effective to reduce stress and tension.
- Add few drops of lavender oil in a cup of boiling water and inhale.
- Also, it gives instant relief if you will apply it on your forehead and massage.
12. Hot Shower
Sometimes taking a hot shower is beneficial to reduce your headache and stress quickly. You can keep hot water bag on your back of the neck. It will reduce your tension and relax your muscles.
13. Take a Nap in a Dark Room
If possible sit in a dark and silent room for few minutes. Take a deep breath to release stress. It will definitely help you to reduce your headache and migraine.
14. Drink Water
Dehydration also causes headaches. Hence drinking sufficient water boosts metabolism and keep you hydrated. It prevents your headache and many health problems.
Causes of Migraines and Headaches
- Stress, tension, depression
- Smoking, alcohol
- Skipping meals
- Not taking enough sleep
- Change in environment temperature
- Poor Posture
- Chocolate, banana, citrus fruit and cheese
- Low blood sugar
Symptoms of Migraines
- Food cravings
- Stiffness in neck
- Constant yawning
- Nausea or vomiting
- Pain in one side of the head
- Vision loss
If you have more tips on home remedies for headaches and migraines then please share your comments below.