Generally, for lowering blood pressure we take medicines and control eating and drinking habits. But according to the research, you can control your high blood pressure naturally without medicines by practicing yoga regularly. Yes, practicing yoga poses and pranayama (breathing exercises) plays an important role in preventing and lowering blood pressure naturally. Let’s see some easy and effective exercises of yoga for high blood pressure patient.
What is High Blood Pressure?
As we know that high blood pressure or hypertension is the blood flow through arteries (blood vessels) at a higher pressure than normal pressure. If the blood pressure reaches at 140/90mmHg, then it means you are suffering from high blood pressure or hypertension. Hypertension is related to serious health problems like heart attack, stroke, kidney problem or dementia.
[ Must Read – What is High Blood Pressure, Causes, and Symptoms? ]
Importance of Yoga for High Blood Pressure
- The regular practice of yoga calms the mind, body and soul. If your mind and body both are relaxed then there are fewer chances of getting high blood pressure or hypertension.
- Stress, depression, anxiety and tension are the most common causes of high blood pressure or hypertension. Practicing yoga regularly releases stress, anger and depression and helps in lowering blood pressure naturally.
- Yoga improves blood circulations in our body.
- Boosts immune systems.
- Improves digestion process and cure stomach disorder.
- Cures insomnia (Sleeping disorder).
- Improves function of the heart and removes blockages of heart.
- Improves lifestyle and keeps us healthy.
- Improves concentration.
- Strengthens the mind, body and soul.
Seven Pranayama for High Blood Pressure or Hypertension
- Bhastrika Pranayama
- Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Bahya Pranayama
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama (Nadi Shodhan)
- Bharmari Pranayama
- Udggeth Pranayama
- Pranav Pranayama
When you feel angry, just close your eyes and start breathing deeply and slowly for some time. Pranayama helps to control your breathing and emotions. Pranayama lowers down the production of carbon dioxide because it reduces the need for oxygen.
The practice of pranayama reduces your mental strain which balances your heart rate. Thus pranayama plays an important role to reduce high blood pressure without medicines immediately.
Poses of Yoga for High Blood Pressure
- Balasana – Child pose
- Vajrasan – Diamond pose
- Pawanmuktasana – Wind removing pose.
- Shavasana – Sleeping straight on back