In Sanskrit “Baddha” means – Bound, “Kona” means corner and “Asana” means Pose, so it is called as Baddha konasana. The final pose resembles the shape of a butterfly so it is also called as butterfly pose also. Butterfly pose, plays an important role to boost fertility and stimulate the abdominal organs.
Baddha Konsana Steps – Butterfly Exercise
- Sit straight on the floor with an erect spine. If you feel difficult to sit, you may use pillows or blanket to raise your hips. Breathe normally.
- While exhaling, bend your knees slowly. Clasp the hands over the feet and place the soles of the feet together as close as possible to your pelvis.
- Now try to lower the knees towards the floor. You can take help of elbow to press the thigh to bring the knees towards the floor.
- Breathe normally and start flapping like a butterfly by moving thighs up and down.
- Repeat this for 3- 5 minutes.
Benefits of Baddha Konasana (Butterfly Pose)
- Stimulates abdomen organs, ovaries, bladder and prostate gland.
- Improves the function of kidneys.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Improves the function of the reproductive system.
- Cures menstrual disorder.
- Strengthens thighs, groins, and knees.
- Beneficial for pregnant women to ease childbirth.
- Releases stress, fatigue, anxiety and depression.
Precautions for Baddha Konasana (Butterfly Pose)
- If suffering from groin or knee problem should not practice baddha konasana.
- Should not practice during periods.
- Sciatica patient should not do butterfly pose.