Sanskrit word – Ardha Matsyendrasana
Ardha – Half
Matsya – Fish
Indra – King
Asana – Pose
English Name – Sitting half spinal twist pose
How to Do Ardha Matsyendrasana?
Ardha Matsyendrasana steps are similar to the Vakrasana yoga pose.
- First, sit straight with an erect spine on the ground and stretch both legs in front of you.
- While doing Ardha Matsyendrasana, bend your left leg and keep your right foot behind the left knee.
- Keep your right hand behind you and place your left hand on right knee. Or you can hold your right feet with the left hand.
- Twist your waist to the right and keep looking to the right as much as you can.
- Hold this position for few secs and keep breathing normally.
- Now while exhaling release your position and come back to the starting position.
- Now start doing the same steps on the opposite side.
Ardha Matsyendrasana Benefits
- Effective for slip disc patients but take an expert advice.
- Tones your abdomen organs.
- Calms the mind and relaxes the whole body.
- Increases elasticity in the spine.
- Good to control high blood sugar in a diabetes patient.
- It is effective yoga pose to relieve back pain.
- Stretches your waist and abdomen muscles.
- Burns fat around the waist and hips.
- Stimulates digestive juices to digest food properly and prevent constipation.
- Improves the reproductive health.
- Effective in the treatment of menstrual disorders.
- Prevents UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
Ardha Matsyendrasana Pose Precautions
Should be avoided if you are suffering from
- Spine disorders
- A hernia
- Peptic ulcer
- Avoid during pregnancy and menstruation